When I recently surveyed a group of women in my Facebook group about why they didn’t have a regular exercise routine, the number one reason was TIME.
And I’m sorry, but if time is your excuse I say bullshit!
Not because I don’t believe you are incredibly busy, I know you are. But I would argue that everyone can find 30 minutes in their day to exercise.
I have many clients who are just as busy as you that have a regular fitness regime. And the main thing is they have made it a PRIORITY. They might get up a bit earlier than they used to, or they might forgo a bit of TV/Facebook time. Or they bring their kids to workout sessions. And they just make sure they schedule it in.
Please don’t think I’m being harsh. I’m not! We are just having a little bit of real talk. I care about you and your fitness/health and I want to make things easy for you.
So here are a few ways to get some regular exercise in – even if it seems impossible.
- Drop the expectation that an exercise session needs to be an hour or even 30 minute long. It doesn’t! Even 10 minutes of exercise a day is much better than none. Check out more about this theory in this post.
- Also, realise that exercise doesn’t need to be “formal” to count. You don’t need to attend a class or go to a gym. Just park a bit further away from the supermarket and walk. Or send your print job to a printer at the other end of the office so you need to pick it up. Hang the washing out rather than using the dryer. Always use the stairs. There are many ways you can add more incidental exercise to your daily life with adding a whole heap of time.
- Sweating is not compulsory. Find a gentle yoga class you can attend on your lunch break or when you are on your way to pick up the kids at school. Or find a personal trainer and tell him/her that you would like to do a light weights session. That way you won’t get sweaty and have to find the time to shower in the middle of the day.
And to help you out here are some resources to develop your own 10 minute routine:
- Here are my fave 3 exercises to get your whole body working.
- A lovely stretching routine.
- If you want to add weights try these barbell exercises.
- Or why not sign up to my free 7 days of yoga challenge? Over 7 days you will learn how to do a yoga sun salutation. This really works the whole body and takes less than 5 minutes. Just use the form below to get instant access for free!
And tell me in the comments section – what are your favourite exercise time savers?