Stress is a normal function of the body, but it can wreak havoc on your metabolism, digestion, and overall health. Having a clear understanding of how stress affects your body will give you power. Once you know how stress impacts your life, you can take action and make changes.
Stress can affect you physically and emotionally in the following ways:
- Weight gain or weight loss
- Depression, anxiety
- Feeling sad or overwhelmed
- Mood swings
- Digestive stress
- Hormone imbalance
- Sleep — too sleepy or inability to sleep or stay asleep
- Overeating or inability to eat
- Inflammation, including arthritis, joint pain
- Reduced sex drive
- Sluggish or weak immune system
- Food allergies or environmental sensitivities
How you deal with stress plays a huge role in your health. Finding healthy ways to get through challenging moments in your life will revitalize you instead of drain you. Find ways to incorporate some of these stress-busting activities into your daily, weekly, and monthly schedule, so that you’ll be prepared when stress inevitably hits.
Here are some ideas for healthy and practical ways to deal with stress:
- Deep breathing
- Making a date with a friend
- Taking the time to sip a cup of tea
- Reading a book
- Getting a massage
- Pursuing a hobby you enjoy, such as knitting, cooking or painting
- Learning something new
- Being part of a book club or another activity that makes you feel
connected to other people
- Doing something that aligns with your religious or spiritual practice
- Spending time in nature
In order to properly handle your stress you need to understand what got you here in the first place. Often we feel stressed without knowing exactly why. It is really important to identify what brings you to the point of being totally stressed out. Next time you are at that point, I suggest you ask yourself the following:
- What is happening?
- Why do I feel this stress?
- When did it start?
- Where do I feel this stress in my body?
Combating stress is something I am passionate about. If you feel you need help in this area then schedule a free Discovery Session with me to see if I can help.